Students who qualify for a special education IEP or are currently receiving special education services outside of ACT Academy’s capabilities must complete an enrollment counseling process during which the student’s current IEP and services will be discussed with the IEP team.
To provide the necessary resources and support to all students, school staff, parents, and the community to ensure that every student has the opportunity to graduate from high school with a viable plan for postsecondary education or employment.
Services provided to students who exhibit an Educational Disability, such as:
- Emotional Disturbance
- Intellectual Disability (formerly Mental Retardation)
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairments
- Other Health Impairment (epilepsy, ADD, Tourette’s)
- Speech or Language Impairment
- Specific Learning Disability (SLD)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
School districts must identify and evaluate all students who are thought to have a disability and who may be eligible for special education or related services. If you suspect your child is eligible, you can submit a request, in writing, to your child’s school to start the process. Once you make the request the school will either issue a “permission to evaluate” (PTE) or explain, in writing, why a PTE may not be issued.
Types of Support
- Itinerant Support
- Refers to special education supports and services provided by special education personnel for 20% or less of the school day
- Supplemental Support
- Refers to special education supports and services provided by special education personnel for more than 20% but less than 80% of the school day.
What Does it look like at ACT
- Itinerant & Supplemental Support
- Modifications and accommodations to the general education curriculum
- Small-group research-based Reading instruction
- Small-group research-based Math instruction
- Supplemental online support for Reading, Writing, and Math
- Monthly progress reports
- Related Services
Students who qualify for a 504 plan or are currently receiving accommodations or other services must complete an enrollment counseling process during which the student’s current 504 plan and services will be discussed with the Principal and other administrative staff.